Wednesday, March 16, 2011

Everybody Dance Now!!


     On Thursday, I had an AMAZING day!!  I had the opportunity to speak to over 500 students at the Milan Elementary School.  At 8:15 a.m., I started out the day with a group of about 150 5th and 6th graders.  The 4th graders were next; then 3rd graders and so on.  There were six classes in all.  At about 3:00 p.m., I ended the day on a high note with a group of kindergarteners.

     Tim Cason is the elementary music teacher in Milan.  He is starting a dance unit with his students that will feature dances such as the Cha Cha Slide.  Earlier this year, Mr. Cason asked me to come speak to his classes as an introduction to this dance unit.  He then worked with some of the other teachers and administration in the Milan school district to organize my visit.  Thanks to him, the other elementary teachers also brought their students and we were able to have the festivities in the gym.

Mr. Cason & me! Thank you!!

Mr. Forrester, the Milan High School principal, & me! Thanks!!
     When the students came in, they sat down and I told them a little bit about myself and the Miss America Organization.  Then I explained my platform, "Building Confidence in All Children through Dance."  I told the students that dancing is a great way to stay fit.  It's good exercise and FUN!  I also learned about some of the other ways students get exercise.

One little boy told me he could walk on water; just like Jesus. :)
Love kids!!

     Finally, it was time to dance!!  I began by teaching the students a hip hop dance.  It was great, because the kids could really relate to the hip hop.  After doing the dance a couple times, it was time to pick out our 'super awesome dancers!'  My mom and the teachers chose kids from the crowd that were trying hard and doing a great job.  The chosen kids got to come onstage, introduce themselves, and do the dance with me!!

One of my favorite moves- 'wash the dishes!'

Congrats to our very first SUPER AWESOME dancer of the day!!



Even a group of high schoolers made it on stage as "Super Awesome Dancers" when their PE class joined the fun!

     Next, the kids posed for a picture while I changed into a dance costume.  I performed my tap solo that I will be doing for my talent at Miss Missouri!  In a few of the classes I even performed my talent from last year, "Ease on Down the Road."  The kids stood right in front of the stage so they could see my feet making sound. :)

     It was then time to 'Cha Cha Slide' and 'Cupid's Shuffle.'  I love these dances, because they tell you what to do!  You don't even have to remember the steps!! ;)

*Can you go down low? All the way to the floor?*
     In some of the classes, there was time to show off some favorite dance moves.  We formed a BIG circle and put on the music.  When someone had a favorite dance move to share, they raised their hand and performed their move in the center of the circle.  Then, everyone else tried out the move for themselves!

There were quite a few break dancers!!


     When each class was almost over, the students were allowed to freestyle on their own while I passed out my signature cards.

The third grade class was so awesome, we couldn't possibly pick super awesome dancers.
So, I danced with them on the gym floor so everyone could be a super awesome dancer!!
     If the students do their dance exercise for at least 15 minutes, 3 days a week, they can e-mail me and I will send them a signed certificate back to their school.  They should be proud of their efforts and it can remind them to continue  their dance exercise!!  Remember to e-mail me, guys!!

This little girl, Brittney, was AMAZING!!
She not only got out her wheel chair,
but was selected as a super awesome dancer and came on stage as well!!
Living proof that ANYONE can dance!! :D

I LOVE hugs!

He did an awesome Michael Jackson impression!
**Where's your face??  Here are all the class pictures, as I promised. :)









What an awesome day at Milan Elementary!  You guys were great, and I loved, loved, loved your enthusiatic dance moves!  Even the teachers got out on the floor to "bust a move!"  It was loads of fun!  Thank you.

With Love,
Morgan

No comments:

Post a Comment