Sunday, September 4, 2011

Missouri Girls State


My whole city, the Linn City Landmines!
(tick, tick, tick, BOOM!!)
     A couple of weeks after Miss Missouri, I went to Missouri Girls State.  Girls State is a week long program on the University of Central Missouri campus.  Throughout the week, we elected girls to hold positions in our own mock government.  We were split into cities, counties, and political parties, just like in the real state government.
These are the other 4 girls voted into the
House of Representatives from my city.

I felt very professional ;-)

     I was voted into the House of Representatives.  It was a great experience.  The best part of being a representative was our Wednesday trip to the capital in Jefferson City.  We were able to debate our Girls State bills on the actual house floor.  It really helped us understand how the process works in real life.

Kelby & I outside of the capital :)

     After Wednesday, the week continued to get better!  On Thursday night, I was able to perform in the Girls State talent show!  Kelby Czerwonka, Miss Osage River’s Outstanding Teen, also performed.  We both performed our talents from Miss Missouri.  Kelby sang “Walking On Sunshine” and I tapped to “Boogie Shoes.” J  It was fun performing for so many young women and being able to see some of the other girls’ talent.

performing in the talent show!

Kelby in the talent show!
The 2010 Missouri Girls State Governor & I

     All week we had been working up to electing a new governor of Girls State.  Friday night was our new governor’s inauguration and our chance to get all dressed up. J  Our parents were also invited to come to the ceremony that night and we had a reception afterwards.  After the reception, we headed back to our rooms, changed into some comfy clothes, and enjoyed our last night of Girls State!
My friend from home, Alicia, & I before the inauguration ceremony.

We had a great time on the last night. haha

     Girls State was a great experience!!  I learned a lot about our government and met some pretty awesome girls!  I’m so glad I had the opportunity to go.

These two girls were in the Legislative classs with me everyday :)

You can't really tell from this picture,
but this lady's shoes were like flags for your feet.
Soooo cute!!
With Love,
Morgan

No comments:

Post a Comment